1. Adoption is not possible without loss.
2. Love isn’t enough in adoption, but it certainly makes a difference.
3. Show me—through your words and your actions—that you are willing to weather any storm with me.
4. I will always worry that you will abandon me, no matter how often you tell me or show me otherwise.
5. Even though society says it is PC to be color-blind, I need you to know that race matters.
6. I need you to be my advocate.
7. At some point during our adoption journey, I may ask about or want to search for my birth family.
8. Please don’t expect me to be grateful for having been adopted.
9. Don’t be afraid to ask for help.
10. Adoption is different for everyone.