Generally, after a divorce the parties and the court do not have authority to modify the terms of the divorce decree.  But there are many exceptions to this rule. A few of them are:   

(1) Child Custody. Child custody may be modified by the court if it is proven that there has been a new and material change of conditions affecting the welfare of the child and the welfare of the child requires modification of the original decree.  The change must be based on matters occurring since the last decree.

(2) Child Support. Child Support may be modified based on a showing of a change in the income and financial status of either of the two former spouses or based on a change in the needs of the child.

(3) Visitation. Visitation may be modified without having to show the court that there is any material change in either of the parents or the child. However, you can’t go back to court to change the visitation schedule more than once in any two-year period following the last judgment made by the court.

Modification of a final decree can be a complex process.  It is recommended that you discuss this process with an attorney.

SOURCE: Atlanta Legal Aid