My spouse is in charge of our household finances but barely provides me with enough to keep the cars running and buy food and clothes for the kids. Can I sue for child support?

Not unless you and your spouse live apart. Courts cannot, and will not, intervene in a family’s lifestyle unless the children are being abused or neglected. Parents aren’t legally obligated to provide material goods other than food, shelter, clothing, and education (up to a state’s required age of attendance).